School Days





An early photo of Albert Kraul and his classmates at the Centennial Public School in 1908. Albert is in the front row, third from left. This school was located in Rock Run Township. Most references to Centennial School point to Florence Township, just west of Freeport. This one was located at the southeast corner of the Cedarville Road and Farwell Bridge Road intersection. The land around the school was owned by William Spellman, who was on the school board when Albert Kraul attended. Charles Nath and William Dailey were also nearby landowners and school board members.





When Prohibition ended, the United States opened its tankards once again. Albert Kraul was the first in Rock City to open a tavern. Kraul's Tavern is shown in this totally awesome advertisement for Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in the October 23, 1934 edition of the Freeport Journal-Standard. A few names below Kraul's Tavern is Tim Meyers of Dakota, Illinois. This is probably Ransom "Tim" Meier, who owned our house prior to Albert Kraul and lived in Dakota in 1934. Tim operated a roadhouse called Shan-T-Town on Illinois Route 75, southwest of Dakota.